- 8th May 2018
What is the current state of the UK’s Architecture sector?
In March 2018, the Greater London Authority updated their ‘London Architecture Sector’ publication.
Did you know that:
- The UK is home to three out of the top ten universities for Architecture in the world. (According to 2017 rankings).
- Some of the world’s most recognisable buildings / structures were designed by UK-based Architects; Centre Pompidou in Paris, the Millau Viaduct in France and the Swiss Re, also known as the Gherkin, in London.
- Since 1979, there have been four UK winners of the Pritzker Architecture prize.
- Including HR and Finance, there were 26,200 jobs in London’s Architecture sector in 2016.
- One in three postgraduates studying Architecture, Building and Planning in the UK did so in London during the 2015-2016 academic year.
The Greater London Authority found that the UK’s Architecture sector generated approximately £6.7 billion turnover in 2016. In the same year, more than two-fifths of the Architecture sector’s Gross Value Added (GVA) was from London.
Since the start of 2014’s academic year, Higher Education students within Architecture, Building and Planning subjects has grown. According to HESA, these numbers grew from 49,385 in 2015/16 to 51,265 in 2016/17. This is an increase of 1,880, with 56.6% of this increase being female.
The market’s growth is also reflected through the increase of jobs in the UK’s Architecture sector. Between 2015 and 2016, the number of jobs had increased from 91,400 to 97,900, with London having a 26.9% (26,200) share of the total in 2016. 46.6% of jobs in the London Architecture sector in 2016 were held by women.
London Festival of Architecture Director Tamsie Thomson said:
Architecture is critical to London’s success – not only in terms of shaping the city but also as an industry that supports thousands of jobs and contributes many millions of pounds to the economy.
Stride recognises the recent growth of the Architecture industry and with over 10 years’ experience, has seen first-hand the changes that the industry has gone through.
With a team of dedicated, specialist consultants, some of whom have formerly worked within the industry, you can trust Stride to provide an ethical and consultative full scope recruitment service that will exceed your expectations.
We work in multiple markets within the Built Environment sector:
- Building Design
- Civil Engineering, Environmental and Water
- Facilities Management
- Health & Safety
Within these markets, our specialist Consultants provide tailored programmes to meet your staffing needs.
We also offer a dedicated staffing solution service, enabling us to work in partnership with our clients through the delivery of consultancy, RPO & contractor workforce solutions, and bespoke recruitment services.
If you have a job vacancy that you believe Stride can help you with, please contact us today by either calling +44 (0)23 9237 4444 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alternatively, if you are looking for a new job role, you can conduct a job search on our website here: