Principal Environmental Health Officer
- Devon, United Kingdom
- £34,000 to £36,500 per annum
A client of mine in Honiton is looking to recruit a Principal Environmental Health Officer on a permanent basis. The position as a Principal Environmental Health Officer will lead and manage the Environmental Protection team. You will be responsible for providing an effective and comprehensive, customer-focused service in accordance with legislation and agreed service standards acting as lead officer for Environmental Protection (environmental/animal activities permits, air quality, community protection, noise and other statutory nuisance, national assistance funerals, bathing water quality, contaminated land, pest control, found dogs, and planning/licensing consultations) matters.
- To provide day to day operational control of the team along with any contractors or consultants engaged for the time being. To ensure the effective and efficient delivery of the relevant statutory, non-statutory and advisory functions of the Commercial Premises Team.
- To be responsible for ensuring that procedures, policy and the service plan meet all legal requirements, code of practice and guidance and are fully integrated into the day to day running of the team.
- Advise the Environmental Health & Parking Services Manager on cases where there may be an impact on the client’s reputation and identify Service consequences in terms of any legal and financial implications
- To take the lead in advice and enforcement action, including leading and being responsible for the investigations of outbreaks and notifications of food related and other infectious diseases.
- Maintain, monitor and report upon all necessary programme and performance records and performance indicators in connection with the team taking appropriate action as necessary in accordance with the client’s policy.
- To undertake complex programmed and complaint audits, inspections, surveys and investigations under all the relevant food legislation, including visiting sites alone taking necessary action. Take appropriate action for contraventions or unsuitable practices where appropriate in accordance with current guidance and legislation.
- Initiate and carry out enforcement in all types of commercial premises including the prosecution, seizure or detention of goods, issuing of notices, application for and execution of warrants necessitating the forced entry to premises.
- Prepare statements of evidence and associated documentation and attend Court, Public Inquiries, etc., to give evidence on behalf of the Council where necessary and take the lead in enforcement and regulation in complex cases e.g. emergency closures, prosecutions and appeals.
- Prepare tender documents in accordance with procedures for procurement and the contracting out of services. Manage the performance of external contractors, ensuring contract compliance
- Carry out an assessment of risks which might affect service delivery and/or health and safety and to ensure all such risks are properly managed.
- Manage the overall budget for the Commercial Premises Team
Your experience and qualifications will include:
- Qualified Environmental Health Officer registered with the CIEH
- Evidence of continuing professional development including relevant post-graduate training or study.
- Sound knowledge of