- Norfolk, United Kingdom
- £30,000 to £34,000 per annum
37.5 Hours Per Week
£30,000 – £34,000
25 Days Holiday + 8 BH
Within Norfolk Country Council the client’s team are fully integrated working side by side with NCC in joint teams all focusing on the same objectives. They have a joint management team and the client’s staff managing joint teams of the client and NCC staff, and vice versa.
Norfolk highways delivers all highway construction design projects within the County Council as part of its Capital Improvement and Structural Maintenance Programme including the Bridge Programme. The section also delivers VRS design, bridge inspections, asset management of the bridge stock and routine bridge maintenance work.
The Bridges Team provides an integrated design, inspection, asset management and technical service. Opportunities exist with both Norfolk County Council (NCC) and our consultant partner.
To assist/deliver/guide in the provision of safe and efficient technical bridge designs and project delivery, in a self-sufficient role to enable the department to deliver its capital programmes.
To assist/deliver/guide the bridge inspection (including Principal Inspections) and maintenance programme including inspection and monitoring of existing structures, design and preparation of schemes for bridge assessment, strengthening, reconstruction and maintenance work.
A fully competent Engineer role demonstrated by relevant experience underpinned by knowledge and academic and professional achievement.
As an experienced engineer you will mentor junior members of the team and deputise for the Project Engineer.
Norfolk is a great place to live and work, with beautiful countryside, picturesque towns and villages and over 90 miles of coastline. Norwich is a vibrant city with excellent shopping, eateries and activities all weaved around a historic backdrop.
- Undertake detailed design and the preparation of bills of quantities, drawings, estimates, specifications and contract documents.
- Carry out bridges inspections and prepare reports to enable priorities and future programmes of work to be determined.
- Programme and monitor inspection programmes for highway structures.
- To prepare works orders for bridge routine maintenance works (including all supporting information eg specifications, consents and risk assessments).
- Ensure scheme costs are monitored during design and construction phases and that all the necessary process/procedures are closed out upon completion.
- Support, advise and allocate work to technicians/technical assistants in the team.
- Liaison with supervision staff and Contractor during construction stage to resolve design queries and unforeseen issues in a timely and cost effective manner.
- Prepare preliminary studies and public consultation materials; consult with other organisations and the public so that alternative options can be explored.
- An Engineer will require a minimum of 3 years relevant experience of highways/structural design and project management skills. The post holder is expected to demonstrate self-motivation and initiative and should have the ability to plan the workload of themselves and others to ensure they meet targets that are set for them. Ideally the post holder would be able to demonstrate a widening experience through job rotation / secondment.
- A demonstration of suitable IT skills (to a high standard) including MS Office or equivalent, AutoCad and design/assessment software.
- Have a sound understanding of the policies and procedures of the Department.
- The ability to demonstrate and explain an in-depth knowledge of bridge engineering principles, design, techniques, standards and procedures on a range of small and medium sized projects, or limited number of complex projects.
- Take responsibility for health and safety for themselves, and in the workplace and related to the construction industry (e.g. CDM Regs).
- Ability to communicate effectively with group managers, team managers, team members (and mentors if appropriate) and more widely across the Department, Strategic Partnership and with the stakeholders, contractors and other consultees.
- Experience of working on site would be beneficial, as would experience of working in other areas of the Department/Strategic Partnership.
Other benefits with package:
- pension schemes.
- life assurance.
- personal accident cover.
- paid professional subscriptions.
Please can all interested candidates either, send your CV to email@example.com, DM me or call my direct number 02392 322389.
stride is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.