- Portsmouth, United Kingdom
- £35,000 to £42,000 per annum
We are a fast-growing, and award-winning Civil Engineering, Structural Engineering and Transport Planning consultancy. We are offering an exciting opportunity for a Civil Engineer role to support the management of an expanding civil engineering team and oversee fast-paced complex schemes across a diverse range of clients.
* HND, BEng, MEng or MSc in Civil Engineering,
* Working towards ICE professional accreditation.
* 4+ years’ experience in a similar role,
* Experience within a civil engineering consultancy,
* Experience working with local authorities, developers and architects on civil engineering aspects of a range of schemes.
You must have the ability to:
* Maintain and extend knowledge of engineering theory and practice, and how technology assists its application,
* Solve engineering problems using a sound theoretical approach, based on evidence, and contribute to continuous improvement,
* Identify, review and select techniques, procedures and methods to undertake engineering tasks,
* Contribute to the design and development of engineering solutions, implement those solutions, and evaluate their effectiveness in the context of the whole project life cycle,
* Exercise sound independent engineering judgement,
* Plan the work and resources needed to enable effective implementation of engineering tasks and projects,
* Manage the planning and organisation of tasks and resources,
* Manage teams or technical specialisms,
* Assist others to meet changing technical and managerial needs,
* Manage quality processes and contribute to quality improvements,
* Manage, prepare and control costs/budgets of engineering tasks or projects,
* Use sound knowledge of statutory and commercial frameworks within their own area of responsibility and have an appreciation of other commercial arrangements,
* Identify, organise and use resources with consideration of cost,
* Demonstrate a sound knowledge of legislation, hazards and safe systems of work,
* Manage risks,
* Manage health, safety and welfare within your own area of responsibility,
* Contribute to improvements in health, safety and welfare,
* Understand the principles of sustainable development and apply them in work,
* Manage engineering activities that contribute to sustainable development and the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (UNSDGs),
* Communicate well with others at all levels including effective use of English, orally and in writing,
* Discuss ideas and plans competently and with confidence,
* Demonstrate effective personal and social skills,
* Demonstrate awareness of diversity and inclusion,
* Understand the ethical issues that may arise in your role and carry out their responsibilities in an ethical manner,
* Plan, carry out and record Continuing Professional Development (CPD) necessary to maintain and enhance competence,
* Identify the limits of your personal knowledge and skills.
Role Specific Requirements
* Work within an active and lively Civil Engineering design team responsible for the design of drainage systems, highway layouts, and S278/S38 schemes,
* Undertake design work for;
o Drainage systems in accordance with Sewers for Adoption, building regulations and the SuDS Manual.
o On and off-site highway features, in accordance with the appropriate standards and codes e.g. Design Manual for Roads and Bridges, and Manual for Streets
* Be responsible for writing of fee proposals,
* Have responsibility for being project manager on designated projects,
* Be responsible for producing consistent high-quality drawing packages, considering specific client requirements and aid in the reviewing of these packages produced by more junior members of the team,
* Provide developmental support to junior team members,
* Manage resource to support the completion of appropriate project work tasks,
* Work in a design office, with regular exposure to developers, architects and local authorities.
* Understand the company’s services, market sectors, specialisms, procedures and processes,
* Provide input into marketing and business development material appropriate to the role,
* Aid senior team members with identifying opportunities for bringing work into the business and team, and follow up on these opportunities,
* Attend and actively engage at networking events with senior team members.
* Behave in a pleasant and courteous manner at all times,
* Have the ability to work calmly under pressure,
* Be disciplined and well organised in your work,
* Carry out tasks and duties assigned in a positive and efficient manner,
* Promote and respect the principles of confidentiality,
* Be skilled at communicating with others (staff and clients alike),
* Set an example to all staff by demonstrating compliance with the company’s policies and procedures and operate within the company controls and QMS,
* Act with honesty and integrity, maintaining the highest ethical standards while representing the company (both in and out of the workplace),
* Be an effective participant during meetings and discussions.
stride is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.