Senior Rail Planner
- Greater London, United Kingdom
- £45,000 to £55,000 per annum
We are an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference in the world. As a wholly independent organisation owned in trust for the benefit of its employees, the firm determines its own direction. This allows us to make clear-sighted, thoughtful, long-term decisions about our priorities as a business and as a member of a sustainable society.
This is an exciting opportunity to join our operational planning and modelling skill area in Railway Planning business for the south of the UK, based in our central London offices. Railway Planning is part of our wider Transport Consulting (South) business in London and the South region. This geographic region includes London and the south east but, as the largest cluster of transport and rail planning capability in the region, provides specialist support across the region outside of the area. Many of the people in the team often work on Arup projects elsewhere in the UKIMEA region and in other parts of Arup globally as well.
There are circa 100 staff in the Transport Consulting (South) business and many of these staff contribute to Railway planning projects. The market focus for Railway Planning is in the following core areas:-
– Railway operational planning and modelling
– Railway business planning and strategy (including rail franchise bid support)
– Rail business case and feasibility studies
– Rail regulatory and policy advice
– Rail asset management
The Rail Planning team in London has a broad client base that includes a healthy mix of public and private sector clients. It also supports other parts of the Arup business notably the infrastructure practice, and the overall Rail engineering business, which is one of Arup’s largest businesses.
This is an opportunity for you to take responsibility for project managing small and medium sized rail operational planning projects for a mix of public and private sector clients, as well as leading delivery of significant work packages within larger projects. Projects could range from operational capacity analysis through to development of railway strategies and plans, and the delivery of specialist advice in areas such as performance modelling and timetable planning.
You will also be expected to support business development activities, including client relationship development and management, securing commissions and opportunity identification.
- Recognised relevant tertiary qualifications in an appropriate area.
- Relevant industry experience within a consulting business environment.
- Membership of relevant professional institutions/professional peer bodies.
- Experience in railway planning and operations / or management with a significant proportion in Britain’s railways as a manager or consultant.
- Proven project management skills and the ability to successfully deliver rail planning projects to budget and time.
- Ability to specify and interpret rail operations models in RailSys or equivalent software packages.
- Understanding of Network Rail project development processes (GRIP/PACE). Proven understanding of developing rail infrastructure schemes.
- Proven understanding of timetabling modelling, processes and tools.
- Good understanding rail transport commercial issues.
- Experience in operational and strategic appraisal, design and evaluation of rail schemes, and ability to analyse existing applications.
- Ability to understand the technical performance of different railway systems.
- An overall general understanding and appreciation of railway planning and management, and an understanding of the inter-relationships between strategies, plans and delivery mechanisms (such as franchises, rail projects and the overall contractual matrix / regulatory framework) in the UK rail industry.
- Ability to participate in meetings with clients and customers to demonstrate competence, understanding and a problem-solving attitude.
- Demonstrable track record in any of the following areas:
- Railway business case appraisal (financial and economic).
- Railway economics
- Railway business planning
- Railway strategy development
- Railway franchising (both specification and replacement)
- Railway market analysis
- Railway demand forecasting
- Railway performance planning and forecasting.
- Relevant masters degree or MBA.
- Known to key clients such as DfT Rail, Network Rail, ORR, TfL or PTEs.
- Previous consultancy experience.
stride is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.