Senior Rail Planner
- Greater London, United Kingdom
- £45,000 to £60,000 per annum
We are an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference in the world.
This is an exciting opportunity to join our Railway Planning business for the south of the UK, based in our central London office. Railway Planning is part of our wider Transport Consulting business in London.
The market focus for Railway Planning is in the following core areas:-
- Railway demand and revenue modelling
- Railway operational planning and modelling
- Railway business planning and strategy
- Rail business case and feasibility studies
- Rail regulatory and policy advice
- Rail asset management
This is an opportunity for you to lead and manage the technical delivery of railway operational planning and modelling projects for a mix of public and private sector clients. Small projects could require independent, self-managed working or you may lead larger work packages in strategic and engineering projects, working with colleagues from other disciplines and influencing the overall outcomes.
Typically, the engagements include assessing options for timetable development, route capacity analysis, train performance analysis / modelling and often contributing to business case appraisals for infrastructure enhancement schemes. You will be expected to specify, undertake and / or supervise the technical delivery of this work, as well as present the findings to clients.
You will also be expected to support business development activities, including client relationship development and management, securing commissions and opportunity identification.
Key Requirements and Skills:
- Experience in railway planning with an emphasis on operational planning / modelling and a significant proportion in Britain’s railways.
- Proven task and / or project management skills and the ability to successfully deliver railway planning projects to budget and time.
- Proven understanding of timetable development processes and tools.
- Ability to specify, deliver and interpret rail operations models in RailSys or equivalent software packages.
- Experience in operational and strategic appraisal, design and evaluation of rail schemes.
- Proven understanding of train performance data and analysis
- An overall general understanding and appreciation of railway planning and management, and an understanding of the inter-relationships between strategies, plans and delivery mechanisms (such as concessions, rail projects and the overall contractual matrix / regulatory framework) in the UK rail industry.
- Ability to participate in meetings with clients and customers to demonstrate competence, understanding and a problem solving attitude
- Recognised relevant tertiary qualifications in an appropriate area, such as Engineering, Planning, Geography, Operations Research, Mathematics or Science.
- Relevant industry experience within a consulting business environment.
- Known to key clients such as DfT Rail, Network Rail, ORR, TfL or Devolved Authorities.
Rewards and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary at all levels, and one of the best benefits packages in our sector. Core benefits include cover under the UK Healthcare Plan (private medical insurance), Life Assurance, Accident Insurance, and Income Protection (long term disability) cover. Core benefits are funded by us and made available to all permanent staff in order to support and safeguard your financial, physical, and mental wellbeing. You will also have access to Choice Benefits to help with your work/life balance and financial security. In addition, all permanent employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme.
stride is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.